Wednesday, January 11, 2006

John Donne

Puts it pretty neatly when it comes to describing broken hearts.
Before yesternight, 'twas just mirror neurons that made me appreciate the poem maybe.
now.. :D
(Mono'll laugh like anything when I relate the story to her.) zaalim jamana!
ROTFL BTTBS: here goes Jonny in his "The Broken Heart":

He is stark mad, whoever says,
That he hath been in love an hour,
Yet not that love so soon decays,
But that it can ten in less space devour ;
Who will believe me, if I swear
That I have had the plague a year?
Who would not laugh at me, if I should say
I saw a flash of powder burn a day?

Ah, what a trifle is a heart,
If once into love's hands it come !
All other griefs allow a part
To other griefs, and ask themselves but some ;
They come to us, but us love draws ;
He swallows us and never chaws ;
By him, as by chain'd shot, whole ranks do die ;
He is the tyrant pike, our hearts the fry.

If 'twere not so, what did become
Of my heart when I first saw thee?
I brought a heart into the room,
But from the room I carried none with me.
If it had gone to thee, I know
Mine would have taught thine heart to show
More pity unto me ; but Love, alas !
At one first blow did shiver it as glass.

Yet nothing can to nothing fall,
Nor any place be empty quite ;
Therefore I think my breast hath all
Those pieces still, though they be not unite ;
And now, as broken glasses show
A hundred lesser faces, so
My rags of heart can like, wish, and adore,
But after one such love, can love no .

2 Comments:

At Wednesday, January 11, 2006 2:42:00 PM , Blogger Mandar Gadre said...

once you said, "we read a certain line in a poem or a book, and we feel it was written just for us." felt the same for the last para here. :)
a nice poem indeed.

 
At Wednesday, March 22, 2006 10:46:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is one of a million reasons that i love john donne. glad you love him too!
i dont rememeber whether i told you the story of john donne - "john donne, anne donne, undone"..(probably i did, while we were fiddling on the roof)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home