Tuesday, February 21, 2006

visit to Sandeep's home

my Mom is Great. The Best.I realize that time and again..but mostly forget to tell her that.
(and later console myself by thinking that I was rendered 'speechless')

I bet this time my "wow! I mean...WOW!" over the telephone conveyed what I wanted to say.

Last week, she read the birthstory of a song "kase sartil saye.." by Sandeep Khare, in a newspaper. Now this was a song that I had translated into hindi last year for Mono, my adopted mommy here at IITK. (my ex-roomie would be a less romantic description.)

My real mom is a die-hard fan of Sandeep's songs (These things run in the family, I guess).
And she's also an avid talker when it comes to describing me and my "achievements" to people.
Throw in the fact that she was perked up by British Nandi's recent response, it wasn't a far way for her to call up Sandeep's home (the number was given in the book of his collected poetry) and ask for an appointment. On the bright Sunday morning of 19th, aai reached the Khare abode in Anandnagar. Sandeep wasn't home, but Soniya, his wife - and their 3 year old daughter received her with warmth. The latter, with an initial reluctance of a toddler who's in the midst of watching a favourite cartoon on CD. But I was told that the reluctance vanished after a chocolate was handed over to her with due haste. Fortunately, it was her "chocolate day". The conscientious parents had made a rule for their pet lamb: She was to save all the chocolates she'd get in a week to eat on Sunday. Talk about aatmasamyama.

So Mom, who'd just gone there to perform a jack-in-the-box sequence of 'pop in, show the translation, pop out', ended up enjoying Soniya's hospitality for a wholesome 1.5 hours.
I hear they talked about many subjects, and it culminated in Mom's advising Soniya upon child-rearing.

My Mom always keeps amazing me. :)

6 Comments:

At Thursday, February 23, 2006 7:12:00 PM , Blogger prasad bokil said...

hi
just two weeks before my mom went for his program. That was the first time she heard his poems. Surprisingly she like the program very much. I am saying surprisingly because it is rare to get the appreciation from her on the new things which we (bhakti and myself) like.
Anyway after the program she wrote him a letter. last week Sandeep called at our home to talk with her. The funny part is next but i will add it on my blog

 
At Thursday, February 23, 2006 9:22:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

"My Mom always keeps amazing me."...well, she IS an amazing mom! I listened to the same incident today from the horse's( or may I say the horses's naughty daughter's) mouth and believe me its so well written that inspite of knowing the facts beforehand I couldn't stop myself from reading it thru..
( Well gaya, this comment comes more as an encouragemnet for u to keep posting stuff in english too...so that we marathi illiterate pple can enjoy ur literary outpourings)

 
At Tuesday, August 29, 2006 9:35:00 AM , Blogger Anand Sarolkar said...

Would love to read the hindi translation of "kase sartil saye..."

 
At Saturday, October 14, 2006 3:45:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice stuff... can i hav the translated version if u don't mind?
@-> ace.alchemist@gmail.com

 
At Wednesday, March 28, 2007 10:22:00 PM , Blogger Tushar Joshi said...

Hi, I have done some translations of Sandeep's poems and songs at http://anuwaad.blogspot.com do comment if you like them Thank You

 
At Sunday, July 01, 2007 7:57:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am equally looking forward to meet Dr.Saleel Kulkarni and personally congratulate him on his evergreen heartthrobing music. I would like to know from him whether he can accept my little son of age 8 years as his Shishya, as he has already accepted Saleel as his Guru without any second thought :-). Please post Saleel's emailid or phone number for further contact.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home